I love Valentine’s Day and normally always celebrate with my friends. It’s the concept that I love my friends and it is fun to keep them close to me on this holiday. I also love the smell of fresh flowers and the fun colors of pink and red everywhere I go.
Adam is normally not home for Valentine’s Day and for the past couple of years, my best girlfriend and I go to a restaurant together, buy each other presents and enjoy a movie like Step Up 1, 2, and 3! Thank you to my friends boyfriend for letting her spend the day with me.
This year, Adam was actually home for Valentine’s Day and we wanted to spend the day together at home instead of fighting the Valentine’s restaurant crowd. He stopped by Joe Patti’s World Famous Seafood Market earlier in the day and pick up some beautiful cuts of salmon. I got home and had a sweet card waiting for me. Busy me left the card I bought for him in my car, so I put on the pause button to run outside and sign it!
One of our favorite recipes is from Publix – Salmon and Raspberry Glaze on Wild Rice with Fresh Asparagus
We traded out the wild rice for yellow rice. I started to make yellow rice and he started the grill. We used our grill basket the night before so he thought he’d heat it up to make it easier to clean. What he forgot was that the handle was hot, poor guy burnt his hand and I had to cook dinner. I think he planned that part! Our dinner turned out wonderful with seasoned salmon with a raspberry vinaigrette sauce, asparagus and yellow rice. We also rented a sweet movie and enjoyed a quiet evening together.
Want to make the recipe yourself? Here it is.
Salmon and Raspberry Glaze on Wild Rice
4 salmon fillets (1 1/2 lb; skin removed)
1 (6.1-oz) box 5-minute butter/herb wild rice
1 tablespoon butter (for rice)
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 tablespoons red raspberry preserves
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Butter (or regular) cooking spray
– Preheat grill pan (or grill).
– Always check fish for bones.
1. Prepare rice following package instructions.
2. Whisk vinegar and raspberry preserves until blended. Sprinkle fish with pepper, then coat with cooking spray (wash hands).
3. Place salmon in grill pan (or on grill) and cover; grill 3-4 minutes on each side or until 145°F (or flesh is opaque and separates easily). Serve salmon over rice. Top with raspberry sauce.
1 lb fresh asparagus spears
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1. Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Remove tough root end from asparagus.
2. Place water in pan and bring to boil. Add asparagus and cover; cook and stir 3 minutes or until tender.
3. Drain asparagus and return to pan. Stir in butter and seasoned salt. Serve.
Happy Valentine’s Day and many more to come!